Fresh ideas about design
With the dynamism of the field of contemporary journalism and our natural interest in collaborative spaces, Strada is glad to be working on a project with West Virginia University’s Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism. This school is known for offering an innovative curriculum and hands-on experiences that prepare students to become players in the mass communications landscape. The students learn by doing, producing stories and projects for professional clients and using the latest digital media technology.
The school will update existing facilities in WVU’s historic Martin Hall while creating a 10,000-SF Media Innovation Center in the new Evansdale Crossing building. This new center will give form to the school’s cutting-edge curriculum and provide venues where students can collaborate, experiment, and observe others doing the same.
Read on below about the spaces Strada is designing for these ambitious communicators.
1. Blue Sky Room. The limitless sunny sky is a metaphor for the kind of thinking that will be encouraged in this room. Here, students and faculty can forget budget constraints and other technicalities while they engage in unfettered brainstorming and idea-building.
2. Studio B and Viewing Lounge. On a simple platform with movable furniture, students will give presentations and simulate public interviews and broadcasts. An adjacent Viewing Lounge will provide a place for a live audience or simply an area in which to mingle before and after these educational performances.
3. The Storytelling Hub. This hub will combine a digital newsroom and a brand publishing center where students can gather inspiration from the output of cutting-edge digital media properties. An entrepreneur-in-residence will coordinate faculty, students, and industry professionals to channel their ideas and deliver information through various media platforms.
4. Huddle Spaces. Peripheral booths will provide places for small groups to meet and discuss issues with the sense of camaraderie and comfort that comes from dining at a familiar café.
5. Maker Collab Space. Modeled after the “maker” spaces that are cropping up in cities, this space will provide tools, basic hardware, a 3D printer, and more to let students model their ideas.
6. Hacker Collab Space. The digital counterpart to the Maker Collab Space, this area will invite sitting and standing with laptops as well as conversations around moveable project whiteboards.
While the School updates its facilities to match these aspirations, they are also changing their official name to Reed College of Media. The name change will be official on July 1, 2014; the new Media Innovation Center is scheduled for completion in 2015.
Strada, an industry leader in cross-disciplinary design, is excited to announce the elevation of Abby Mountain to Senior Associate. “Abby has been instrumental to Strada’s growth and success since 2002, and we are thrilled to advance her to this important position,” said Al Cuteri, firm principal and human resources leader. Abby joined Strada nearly 16 ...
Read more >>
A story’s form should be organic— the moves it makes, the shape it takes. Initial visions of setting, theme, voice, and plot emerge as the writer intuits what the story needs without the anchor of minutia holding things back. Art is made.
Read more >>