This project involved the construction of a new arts center and the complete exterior restoration of the historic main building of SCH Academy’s Willow Grove Campus. The historic Wissahickon Inn was built in 1884 and in 1898, became home of Chestnut Hill Academy, now part of SCH Academy. The Inn is listed on Philadelphia’s register of historic buildings. The comprehensive exterior renovation included woodwork restoration, window restoration and replacement, stone masonry pointing, roofing replacement, and painting.
The new Arts Center is an addition to the main building. It encompasses two large gabled roof studios recalling the gables of the historic Inn. The use of “Chestnut Hill” stone and painted wood siding reinforces the interconnectedness between the addition and original Hewitt Brothers’ design. Oversized windows flood the interior with natural light. The Center houses six studios for ceramics, woodworking, metal working, drawing, and painting. The studios surround a two-story, sky-lit gallery for student and guest art exhibitions, and other community gatherings.
– Dr. Richard L. Parker, Former Headmaster, Chestnut Hill Academy